There is joy in making a handcrafted item for someone in need. It doesn't have to difficult or time consuming to make and it is almost guaranteed to be appreciated and loved.
Knitting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time delves into why people knit for charity. The book has inspiring stories of why and how charitable efforts started. If you ever need inspiration to knit, crochet or quilt for charity, one of the stories is certain to touch your soul. Part of the proceeds from the book will be donated to charity.
Knitting for Peace describes a variety of charitable knitting efforts. Many of the organizations mentioned also accept crocheted, quilted and sewn items. The book is divided into 5 chapters.
- Peace and War - wartime knitting past and present
- Peace on Earth - building relationships with needy people in other countries. Cooperative efforts to help people earn an income through knitting.
- Peace at Home - providing comfort in the USA.
- Peace for Kids - helping children
- Knit for Peace - covers getting started and lists charity knitting resources
This book includes easy knitting patterns for blankets, hats, socks, mittens, children's clothing, a shawl and a teddy bear. These basic patterns knit up quickly. Similar patterns, and some of the same patterns, are readily available on the internet.
Don't buy "Knitting for Peace" for the patterns. Buy it for the stories. The stories make the book special.