Friday, December 21, 2007

Finished Socks

It's been a while since I shared any knitted socks. I have 2 finished pairs of socks to share.

blue striped socks with ribbed leg

I knitted these royal blue socks with contrasting stripes in September. The self-striping yarn is Swizzle from Reynold's Yarns. It's 75% merino superwash and 25% nylon. They've softened up nicely after 3 or 4 washings. The pattern is the Fingering Weight Toe-Up Socks with Gusset and Slip-Stitch Heel available on Wendy Knits' Free Patterns, Help, and Other Stuff page. I used the magic cast-on and added a knit 2, purl 2 rib pattern and made the gusset bigger for my foot. I used a sewn cast-off for a stretchy top edge.

I started these blue and grey socks shortly before my niece's October 6 wedding. I had to have something to do during all the waiting to preserve my sanity. I finished them this week. I needed to get them off the needles so I can start my mom's birthday socks.

blue-grey Regia Bamboo socks in Eagle's Flight pattern

The blue and grey yarn is Regia Bamboo, color number 1061. I haven't worn them yet, but I really like the feel of the 45% bamboo, 40% superwash wool and 15% polymide yarn. The pattern is Eagle's Flight by designer Megan Humphrey and available on the PT Yarn website. I added 3 rows of garter stitch at the top of the leg and substituted an eye of partridge heel instead of the the plain stockinette stitch.

loseup of blue-grey Regia Bamboo sock in Eagle's Flight pattern

I learned about all of these patterns and techniques from people on the Socknitters Yahoo group. If you're interested in knitting socks, it is a good group to join. Lots of helpful, knowledgeable people.

No comments:

Post a Comment