Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hats for Charity - The April 6

Project: Hats for City Union Mission from local AT&T Telecom Pioneers.

Personal Goal: Make 48 hats in 2008.
Hats made in April: 6
Hats made Jan. thru Apr.: 19

In April, I used bulky yarn to speedily make 6 hats.

crocheted cap

Cap #1 is made with Lion Brand Jiffy yarn and a J hook using double crochet and my Formula Hat pattern. (I promise will write this pattern up for the website sometime.) I had just enough of the El Paso color left for one round of double crochet at the top, then did a couple of rounds of black and finished the hat with the color wine.

crocheted cap

Cap #2 is another Formula Hat in double crochet. This time I crocheted until I finished the skein of wine colored Jiffy yarn and then switched to black to finish the cap.

crocheted cap

Cap #3 is a Formula Hat, this time in half double crochet. I started with the end of skein of variegated Jiffy (color Salem) and then switched to Dusty Rose. Instead of a turn-up brim, I used front and back post double crochet to make a thick bottom band.

crocheted cap

Cap #4 is another Formula Hat in half double crochet. I finished the last of the black and hot pink Bernat Super Stripes yarn. I used some black Jiffy yarn to make a bottom band in front and back post double crochet.

knit cap

Cap #5 is knitted top down in Jiffy yarn on size 10 needles. I started with the remaining Dusty Rose color and switched to black when I finished the skein of Dusty Rose. The top of the cap is stockinette stitch. The brim is knit 2, purl 2 ribbing.

crochet hat

Cap # 6 is a Formula Hat in half double crochet. The dark green yarn is Bernat Soft Boucle. The light green is a fuzzy bulky yarn. I have no idea what it is as it was given to me with the label missing.

I abhor waste. I bought 4 skeins of Jiffy in early March (with coupons), choosing colors that went together and would go with some grape colored yarn I already had. About 4 weeks later, I went shopping (with another coupon) for something that would go with the Salem variegated and came home with a skein of Dusty Rose. From those 5 skeins of Jiffy yarn plus about ¼ skein of grape Jiffy, I made 7 hats. There is about ¼ skein of black left. There was less than a yard thrown away of each the other colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment