Friday, October 24, 2008

Hats for Charity - The September 3

Project: Hats for City Union Mission from local AT&T Telecom Pioneers.

Personal Goal: Make 48 hats in 2008.
Hats made in Sept.: 4
Hats made Jan. thru Sept.: 39

crocheted cap

The top of cap #1 is half double crochet. I switched to moss stitch (alternating single and double crochet) for the body of the hat and finished the brim with a round of half double crochet. The yarn is "I Love This Yarn" from Hobby Lobby, color grapevine ombre.

crocheted cap

Cap #2 is a "Formula" hat made in half double crochet with a ribbed brim of front and back post double crochet stitches. All the yarn is miscellaneous left overs with no labels. The green / blue / white / dusty rose variegated was lighter weight than most yarns I work with, so I did a few extra increases and decreased back to my normal number of stitches in the first round of the white. I used all of the variegated and white that I had and had very little of the dusty rose left when I finished the brim.

crocheted cap

Cap #3 is a "Formula" hat made in half double crochet with a flared brim. The top of the hat was made from bits of leftover butterscotch and copper colored yarn. The copper was some old Jack Frost yarn, which I'm sure was given to me by someone long ago. The dark teal tried to be a hat once before and languished unfinished when I ran out and had nothing to go with it. The lower part of the hat is some (old) Red Heart Classic in a color called "teddy bear." My scrap drawer had nothing that went with the teal, copper and butterscotch, so I dug a whole skein of the teddy bear out of the closet. The rest of it will appear in a future hat.

I'm sure you noticed my new hat model, Sally. I adopted Sally from a Sally's Beauty Supply in Albuquerque while on vacation. I coerced my friend Roger into making a stand for the styrofoam head and he did a real nice job. Sally and I both appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment