Sunday, September 06, 2009

Ten Month Socks

ribbed hand knit socks

Named Ten Month Socks because I finished them on August 8, 2009, ten months after I started them on October 4, 2008, these are very comfortable. I used Wendy D. Johnson's Fingering Weight Toe-Up Socks with Gusset and Slip-Stitch Heel pattern and worked the instep and leg in knit 2, purl 2 ribbing. The pattern is available on Wendy's free patterns page.

The yarn is Fortissima Colori Socka Color Mexiko by Schoeller Stahl, colorway #13. It was a gift from my stepsister, Sharon, chosen because it looks good with jeans.

leg of ribbed sock

I knitted the foot with 72 stitches on 2.0 mm (US 0) needles, increasing to 76 stitches on the leg. My gauge was about 10.6 stitches per inch in stockinette stitch. I switched to 2.25 mm (US 1) needles about 1 inch above the heel and to 2.5mm (US 1.5)needles about 3 inches above the heel because my calf stretched the ribbing a lot. I increased the needle size after frogging about 5 inches of leg on both socks. Lesson: make sure you try on regularly.

If you are a Ravelry member, there are pictures of the heel and toe on my Ravelry project page. Look for "Ten Month Socks."

No comments:

Post a Comment