This quilt design was inspired by a quilt made in one of our Project Linus blanket groups. The block reminded me of a windmill or one of those little pinwheel / whirlygig toys on a stick. I couldn't find a name for the block and whirlygig is a fun name.
Whirlygig was my chapter's National Make a Blanket Day project on February 20. I made this top, with 8 inch blocks, as a prototype. I decided it was too much work/time for our Project Linus event. I changed to 10 inch blocks and used Electric Quilt 6 to help decide the number of blocks and border width.
I finished quilting the prototype yesterday. I quilted the ditches between all of the blocks, then quilted a curvy line through the center, both horizontally and vertically.
The closeup photo doesn't show the quilting well, so here's a sketch from EQ showing the curved quilting lines. The curved line gives a sense of the blades catching the wind and spinning.