In October 2003, I made half a dozen rectangular granny squares to demonstrate a join as you go technique at a Project Linus event. I used some random bits of yarn that had been donated, including a neon green and some white.
There was only enough yarn for a few rectangles. It was just a sample for a demonstration. I never intended to make it into something usable. But I really hate to throw things away, so those half dozen rectangles sat around with the tiny bits of yarn that were left.
Occasionally more bright green yarn came my way and I added it to the bag. Over the years, I collected enough green yarn to make a whole afghan. The project went on my UFO list in 2008 (the first year I made a list).
Early this year, I got the project out and made the first 3 or 4 rounds of the rest of the granny rectangles. I used a color for 1 or 2 rounds and then changed colors. I made an assortment of different colored centers and then varied the colors in the additional rounds, so few rectangles are alike.
By March 23, I was ready to start joining rectangles. I swept the floor and laid everything out to arrange the blocks. I wrote color names on slips of paper and put those on the blocks to indicate which yarn to make the last round or 2 rounds of the rectangle with.
Edging - Try 1
I merrily started edging the afghan. I made 3 double crochet clusters in the spaces between the clusters on the last round of the rectangles. Then I changed colors and did the same thing in the spaces on the first round of edging.
I decided I didn't like it. The first round of the edging was blending into the blocks and it just seemed like more of the same, rather than a finish.
So I frogged all of the edging and started over.
Edging - Try 2
I made a double crochet in each stitch around this time. A bit more time consuming than making clusters in spaces. The solid, filled in texture clearly distinguishes the edging versus the blocks. I'm satisfied.
I continue until I have 3 rounds of edging complete. Weave in the last of the yarn ends and the afghan is complete.
The afghan was donated to Project Linus in April.