Monday, May 07, 2012

Design Wall Monday - Big Blocks

howling wolves quilt panel

The late news was on when I came upstairs last night and got ready to start a new project. I removed the paisley blocks from my design wall and started looking for fabrics that coordinate with the howling wolves pillow panel that I adopted nearly 4 years ago and haven't touched in almost that long.

I found several fabrics that should work for the design I have in mind. But I need to sit down and do some drawing and measuring and calculating before I cut any of that fabric and I wanted to start cutting fabric to sew.

So I went to my collection of fat quarters given to me by a fellow Project Linus blanketeer a couple of years ago and selected 6 for a Big Blocks quilt. Fat Quarter Big Blocks is the pattern from our 3rd Sunday Project Linus group's April meeting and it is a good one to reduce that fat quarter collection a bit. (I still plan a report on our April meeting, so check back once in a while.) I cut pieces for the big blocks and headed for bed.

Squares Afloat quilt
Squares Afloat quilt detail

This morning, I started by finishing the quilting on my Squares Afloat quilt top from our March Project Linus group meeting. I quilted the floating squares in the ditch and then stitched diagonal lines in the border and sashing areas creating some diamond shapes.

After a break for breakfast and a walk, I started stitching Big Blocks. I quickly had my 12 units stitched and ready to arrange on my design wall.

big block units

I'll experiment with the layout a bit before stitching the 12 units into 6 big blocks and stitching the top together. You can't tell from this picture, but the green accent strip is the green print that I auditioned with the paisley blocks. It was perfect for these fat quarters.

What's on your design wall? Visit Design Wall Monday at Patchwork times to see what JudyL and others are working on and add your own Design Wall Monday post to the Linky list.

No comments:

Post a Comment