Thursday, September 07, 2006

Crocheted Hats

5 crocheted hats

I hope everyone had a great Labor Day! Every time I'm away for even 2 or 3 days, it takes me a while to catch up and get back in my groove. I'm not sure I'm quite there yet.

About a month ago, I decided it was time to start making some hats for charity. In the past our TeleComm Pioneers have collected them and taken them to the Caps for Kids coordinator. The yarn shop that coordinated Caps for Kids in the metro Kansas City area closed last year. So last year the hats went to City Union Mission. City Union was glad to get them and wanted more.

The blue hat is a very scrappy version of my Teen/Adult Ribbed Cap pattern. The purple and green hats on the right are made with Jiffy yarn. The pattern is the Double Crochet Hat at Stitchin's Caps for Kids page. I was never happy trying to make it with worsted weight yarn, but give me a skein of bulky yarn and a size K hook and I can make one in 2 hours. I have modified the pattern a little. I do 4 increases on round 4 and 4 increases on round 5 instead of the 8 on round 4. Also, I just do 14 rounds of double crochet (no single crochet rounds) and put stripes whereever.

2 crocheted swirl skull caps

I made this pink hat while I was away for Labor Day. I started the green one Tuesday night and had a good start on it before I headed home on Wednesday. The 2 hats on the left in the top photo are the same pattern. It is an original design in half double crochet with front and back post double crochet and a little single crochet. Hopefully, I'll get the photos cropped and the pattern typed up for the website soon.

2 comments:

  1. do these go for winter warmth or cancer care? Good job either way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, these are for winter warmth.

    ReplyDelete