Thursday, August 03, 2006

Teaching Children to Quilt

At the library today, I read "How I Spend My Summer Vacations", by Jan Carlson, in the August 2006 issue of McCall's Quilting. This is the tenth year that Jan has taught children in a summer quilt camp at the DAR Museum. My New Jersey quilt guild teaches a children's quilt class each summer. (Yes, I've lived in Missouri the last 11 years and still belong to Rebecca's Reel Quilters in New Jersey.)

Many children today have parents who do not sew and do not learn to sew in school. Other opportunities for children to learn to sew are important. My second Saturday of the month charity quilt group welcomes quilters of all ages and skill levels and teaches anyone willing to learn. We have 3 young quilters that have been with our group for some time and a fourth that joined more recently.

I inherited my love of sewing and quilting from my grandmothers. I learned to sew in Home Economics class and took my first quilting class many years later. It's been over 35 years since I took Home Ec and evidently Home Ec class as I knew it no longer exists. Help develop these skills in the children in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment