Sunday, January 27, 2008

Grand Sierra Knee Socks - Designing

Since my mom's birthday socks are waiting for my next visit to Springfield, my OnLine Supersocke 100 Sierra Color yarn, bought in Albuquerque last May, has been asking to be knit into knee socks.

yarn and gauge swatch for Grand Sierra knee socks

My original plan was to use Wendy’s Fingering Weight, Toe-Up Socks with Gusset Heel for my base pattern with k3, p1 rib and figure out how to do the increases to fit the socks over my calves.

gauge swatch for Grand Sierra knee socks

Then I saw the Nutkin sock pattern designed by Beth LaPensee for Knitzi.com. The designer used a different yarn, but the colors are very similar to my OnLine Supersocke 100 Sierra. That has inspired me to create a knee sock pattern using a similar pattern stitch and knit top down. I spent 2 days charting out the leg of the sock in a spreadsheet, 120 stitches at the widest point and 153 rows from ribbing to heel.

I'm using size 0 (2.0 mm) circular needles and knitting both socks at once, magic loop style. My gauge is approximately 9.6 stitches and 13.3 rows per inch. The photos are my gauge swatch, not an actual sock. Click on the pictures for a bigger version.

My yarn is color #893 of the OnLine Supersocke 100 Sierra. After searching the web, I determined the color name is Grand Canyon Trekking, so I've dubbed this design Grand Sierra Knee Socks. I cast on the socks and knit 2 rows last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment