Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Fiber Arts Fiesta

The Fiber Arts Fiesta was May 24 through 26. I planned vacation around those dates. The fiesta was in the Creative Arts Building at Expo New Mexico (a.k.a., the fairgrounds) in Albuquerque. Fifteen area fiber arts guilds co-sponsored the fiesta.

My friend, Wanda, belongs to the Desert Designs Machine Knitter's Guild, a fiesta sponsor. A small guild, they recruited friends and family to fill their volunteer commitment. Wanda said I'd get free admission for volunteering. I said, "Sign me up." I helped the hospitality team with drinks and snacks for the vendors for 2 hours.

Exhibits displayed a variety of fiber arts: beadwork, crochet, embroidery, hand and machine knitting, lacemaking, sewing and quilting. There were many quilts. Here are 2 of my favorites. I love red and I love southwestern themes.

quilt quilt - Kokopelli Jam

The machine knitter's guild had a display showing how to machine knit a hooded baby sweater that zips up the back. Several adult-sized machine knit garments were displayed, including these 2 vests.

machine knit vests

There were a variety of vendors. I resisted the wonderful variety of quilting fabric. However several skeins of sock yarn came home with me to the joy of Village Wools and Good Fibrations, especially Good Fibrations. Wanda bought hanks of silk yarn from Redfish Dye Works. After the fiesta, we went to the Village Wools shop so Wanda could buy Addi Lace knitting needles. The shop has an wide selection of sock yarn.

sock yarn

Acquiring more sock yarn inspired me to make progress on my second knee sock from variegated Sockotta yarn. See Knitting Club for an in-progress picture of the first sock. The leg is almost done now.

No comments:

Post a Comment