Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Mom's Birthday Socks

blue green sock in progress

I started knitting socks for my mom's December 23rd birthday on Christmas Day. I started the socks while visiting my mom so I could check the fit as I worked. The yarn is Trekking XXL that she picked out on Black Friday. The photo shows the results of 2 days work. About 1/3 of the heel flap is done. I wanted to get enough of the heel done before coming home to be able to check the fit of the sock foot. Now I'll be able to finish the socks without worrying about the fit.

Fortuitously, my measurements, swatching, and calculations arrived at the correct formula for a sock that fits on the first try. This is my first sock knit Continental style instead of English or throw style. It definitely goes faster. I tried continental style socknitting early in 2007 with double pointed needles, but I couldn't control the yarn very well and it was slower than throwing the yarn with my right hand. I think the long circular needles for Magic Loop make a difference.

The pattern is the Fingering Weight Toe-Up Socks with Gusset and Slip-Stitch Heel from Wendy Knits' Free Patterns, Help, and Other Stuff page. I increased the number of stitches, added a knit 2, purl 2 rib pattern and made the gusset bigger. I've been wanting to try Cat Bordhi's "Turned Toe" from Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles. So I substituted a "Turned Toe" and used the magic cast-on .

No comments:

Post a Comment