Saturday, July 01, 2006

Heart Applique Quilt

heart applique quilt

I'm slowly working my way through the stack of quilt tops that I've made for Project Linus. Donations are really down this summer, so I'm trying to finish some blankets.

I finished this quilt with appliqued hearts today. A few years ago, a bunch of cutouts from preprinted panels were donated to the KC Project Linus chapter. Mostly stuff that was designed to be pillows or stuffed toys. I've had custody of a sweater box full of cutouts for quite some time. Early this year, I pulled these 4 hearts out and machine appliqued them to a tone-on-tone off-white fabric and added a border.

flower print fabric

The floral fabric on the right is the back of the quilt. One of my dollar a yard bargains from Hobby Lobby.

I quilted around the edge of all the hearts. I quilted the interior of the larger hearts with 4 more hearts following the design of the fabric. I quilted a heart inside the outer edge of the smaller hearts and then did free-motion quilting around the figures. I echoed the outline of the hearts and the border to fill the background. You can see those quilting lines in the picture. Lastly, I quilted a gently curving line in the red border to make the amount of quilting similar to the rest of the quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment