Sunday, March 11, 2007

Second Saturday Charity Quilting - March

quilt with 36 squares

Quilts from Cornerstone, my second Saturday charity quilting group, met yesterday. After a slow start, we had a pretty good turnout. Most pieced tops. Fleece was cut and a couple of younger members tied knots to make 2 fringed fleece blankets. Our fearless leader, Jeanine, quilted in between helping everyone else. I spent the day finishing tops into quilts (and talking about shopping and computers). I finished one quilt and got this one layered, turned and pin-basted.

quilt

Jeanine gave me 2 fleece blankets and 3 finished quilts, plus the one I pin-basted, for a total of 6 blankets for Project Linus this month. One of the quilts is made with fabric based on the song "There was an old woman who swallowed a fly". It looks like the top, batting and back were layered and then the pictures were appliqued on, stitching through all the layers. I think our newest lady in the group made this at home and brought it in. Click on any picture for a larger version.

quilt detail

My sewing machine is out of the travel case and in the cabinet ready to use for the first time in 3 weeks. While I was retying all those fleece blankets, it just wasn't worth the effort to carry the machine upstairs. Today I quilted the quilt I pin-basted yesterday (thus the finished version in the top picture). I also finished getting a top ready to quilt that I layered about a month ago. I anticipate quilting it this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment