Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Grand Sierra Knee Socks - 2½ Frogs Later

top of knee socks

I'm finally making some permanent process on my Grand Sierra knee socks. This picture looks a lot like the one I showed you 2 weeks ago, but there is an important difference: there are 136 stitches to go around the widest part of my calf. Two weeks ago I only had 120 stitches and the sock was stretched too much for my tastes. In th last 2 weeks, I have:

  • redesigned the pattern,
  • frogged 2 complete pattern repeats (back to the ribbing),
  • knit about 1½ pattern repeats
  • frogged several rows on one sock because I missed the increases in one section
  • reknit the frogged rows of the one sock and plus more on both socks
  • redesigned the pattern again,
  • frogged 4 rows on both socks to add more increases
  • knit about ½ a pattern repeat
  • redesigned the pattern a third time to make the increases over fewer rows,
  • frogged 2 complete pattern repeats (back to the ribbing again),
  • knit 2 pattern repeats

So, 3 pattern redesigns and 2½ froggings later, I finally have a suitable sock circumference for my calf. I'm going to continue knitting until the leg of the sock is about 4 to 4½ inches long before I start decreasing to taper the sock down to my ankle.

Earlier Posts about these socks: Grand Sierra Knee Socks - A Frogging We Go, Grand Sierra Knee Socks - Designing

I visited my mom last weekend and focused on knitting these socks for much of the time. I also read 200 pages of an easy XHTML book and visited Simply Fibers. I got a Simply Fibers gift certificate for Christmas and spent it and then some. I got 2 skeins of green Regia that were on sale (25% off). I decided to get some purple yarn and selected a skein of Tofutsies for anklets/calf-high socks and 2 skeins of Berocco Sox for knee socks.

sock yarn

No comments:

Post a Comment