Friday, June 20, 2008

Joy of Something Different

Most of my crafting is quilts for Project Linus, hats for City Union Mission and hand knit socks for myself. I'm in a bit of a rut. About a month ago, I bought 6 skeins of Sugar & Cream Twists, in 3 colors, on clearance at Michaels. Cotton yarn is perfect for potholders.

Sugar & Cream Twists yarn

Sugar & Cream Twists has 2 colors of yarn twisted together. It gives the effect of knitting or crocheting with 2 different colors of yarn without the bother of working with 2 separate skeins or the extra bulk. It's a nice change of pace from the cotton yarn I normally use.

I'm not a fan of crocheted or knitted dishcloths; they are too thick and heavy for me. But I love a nice thick crocheted potholder. Several years ago, I learned to make the Double-thick Diagonally Crocheted Potholder, also known as the Magic Square potholder. I also make an extra thick potholder where you crochet through the back loop only, but also reach down and crochet through the unused front loop of the previous row. I think every potholder I've crocheted has been one of these two designs.

About.com crochet guide Sandi Marshall blogged about her Southwestern Duo Potholder Patterns right after I bought the S&C Twist. I love Southwestern things, so I sat down with yarn, hook and pattern and look what I made.

southwestern potholder

Next, I think I'll try Priscilla Hewitt's Scalloped Potholder. The stitch pattern on the Circles Potholder at Cathy's Crochet intrigues me. Janelle Schlossman's Easy Basketweave Potholder has such a wonderful texture. I have a pot that the Handle Potholder from Crochet 'n More would be just perfect for. So many choices.

No, I can't make all of these from 6 skeins of Sugar & Cream Twists. But I have other cotton yarn in my stash. And I found yarn that appears to be cotton that still didn't find the right buyer at my latest garage sale, so I've brought it back into the house to become potholders.

No comments:

Post a Comment