Thursday, August 14, 2008

Spiral Scrap Hat

scrap cap in progress

Patty left a comment on my 8/12 UFO/Scrap Busting report asking if I had a pattern for the cap I'm crocheting from leftover yarn bits. The answer is not yet. It's one of those things I plan to do and if you follow my blog and website, you know I don't write up patterns for the website very frequently.

I think this will ultimately be called a Rainbow Hat or something with Rainbow in the name. For those that don't need a formal pattern, here's a quick how to. I use a size I crochet hook and worsted weight scraps.

Rounds are worked in a continuous spiral; no joining or turning. Mark the beginning/end of rounds with a piece of contrasting yarn or a removable stitch marker while doing increases.

Chain 4 and join with a slip stitch to make a ring. Chain 1 and make 7 half double crochet (hdc) in the ring.

Round 2: Make 2 hdc in each hdc.

Round 3: Make 2 hdc in next hdc, hdc in next hdc. Repeat to the end of the round.

Continue making 7 evenly spaced increases per round until there are 63 stitches. This is almost 19 inches around, a nice snug cap for a woman or teen. For a man increase 3 or 4 more stitches. For a child, make 3 or 4 fewer increases on the last round (59 or 60 stitches total).

Stop increasing and make 1 hdc in each hdc until the cap is as long as you want. If you need help with dimensions, look at the size chart at Bev's Country Cottage. I usually just try the hat on.

When your cap is long enough, single crochet in the next 2 stitches. Slip stitch in the next stitch. Fasten off and weave in all yarn ends.

Whenever you finish a ball of yarn, start the next one. It doesn't matter where you are in the row. I crochet over the yarn ends as I work, so there is minimal finishing. I think it looks best if the yarn makes at least one row, but do what you want. Use the really small balls at the beginning when there are fewer stitches per round.

Have fun!

1 comment: