Friday, April 27, 2012

New Sock Project - Simply Skyp

It's rare for me to go more than a few days without a pair of socks on the needles. It's usually the same pair for at least 3 months, but socks in progress none the less. But I have had no socks in progress for almost 4 months. I took a hiatus from sock knitting to knit a secret project that is now ready for seaming and finishing.

This morning I got out my yarn ball winder and wound a skein of Opal Hundertwasser, color 750 (3206) "Blinde Venus", into a cake. This yarn is from the 3rd series of self-striping sock yarn based on paintings by Austrian artist and sculptor Friedenreich Hundertwasser. Unfortunately, I found a knot and a major break in the color sequence about 15 grams into the 100 gram skein. Fortunately, only the one knot.

cakes of Opal yarn

Inspired by one of Judy L's Sock Projects, I'm using the stitch pattern from Adrienne Ku's Simple Skyp sock pattern. I prefer working toe-up and the Simple Skyp pattern uses sport weight yarn (Opal Hundertwasser is fingering weight), so I'm making a few changes.

I'm using Wendy D. Johnson's Fingering Weight Toe-Up Socks With Gusset and Slip-Stitch Heel pattern modified to 72 stitches to accommodate my tight knitting on size 0 (2.0 mm) needles. The large size of Simple Skyp uses 72 stitches, making it easy to apply the stitch pattern to my toe-up version.

I fear the larger portion of the yarn, i.e., the 85 gram side of the knot, will be really close to the amount needed to make my socks with cuffs as long as I like. Using my postal scale, I divided the 85 grams of yarn into 2 not quite equal weight cakes, starting the 2nd cake at approximately the same spot in the color sequence as the first cake. I'm using the small, 15 gram cake from the other side of the knot to knit the toes. I'll switch to the larger cakes of yarn when I reach the instep.

Five rounds of toes done and many stitches to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment