Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Yarn Jumps off Shelf

red Regia sockwool yarn

Before shopping at the Great Mall of the Great Plains (large indoor outlet mall in Olathe, KS) yesterday, I visited the Knit Wit yarn shop about 1.5 miles from the mall. I walked in the door to be greated by shelves and shelves of sock yarn. Six feet from the front door this red Regia sockwool jumped into my hands. I love red! I browsed through the rest of the shop and juggled the Regia while I searched through the circular needles.

beginning of knee sock from multicolor Sockotta yarn

I recently started these knee socks from the Sockotta I bought a couple of years ago. I knit the ribbing on size 0 double pointed needles and switched to size 1 circular needles and the Magic Loop method for the body of the socks. The pattern stitch on the leg is k2, p2 for 4 rows, then p2, k2 for 4 rows. I did some k3, p3 on the back of the leg to reduce the number of disappearing pattern repeats when I do the decreases.

I bought the Magic Loop instruction booklet and size 1 Addi Turbo circular needles at Knitcraft in Independence, MO last week. The 32-inch long needles were the longest they had. I knitted with them for a couple of hours and was doing fine, but decided that a longer cable would make the process more enjoyable. I found 40-inch long size 1 Addi Turbo circular needles at Knit Wit yesterday. I switched to them last night and enjoyed knitting with the longer cable.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean when the yarn jumps off the shelf into your hands!! (not that that's ever happened to me...yeah right!)
    You made the right decision to give it a new home where it will be hugged a lot!
    Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete