Sunday, August 24, 2008

UFO/Scrap Busting Report - 8/24/08

You might think I'd have a bit more variety to report on my UFO / Scrap Busting effort since finishing the Granny's Daughter afghan two days ago. I do have a bit more variety, but only a bit.

crochet cap

I finished the hat I was working on. It's a "Formula" hat made with Red Heart Symphony. The main part of the hat is in the redwood color. The center top and edge of the brim are in tundra. I'm happy to say that the Symphony left-overs are dwindling. Another couple of hats and I'll be able to say "sayonara, Symphony . . . and good riddance."

Today I finished a small quilt top made from orphan blocks, leftover bits of strip sets and scraps from backing a quilt. The quilt top is 31 inches high by 33½ inches wide. I would never have pulled this fabric combination to make a quilt, but for something put together entirely from scraps and orphan blocks, it works fairly well. The bright colors and frog print guarantee kid appeal.

quilt top from scraps and orphan blocks

The 6 H-blocks are 10" square, one inch smaller than the blocks in the original quilts. The ends of the strips sets weren't long enough to make 11" blocks, so I trimmed the frog print. I pieced scraps of the purple and orange together to make strips long enough for the legs of the H's.

The bright blue plaid, trimmed from a quilt back ages ago, was perfect to frame the 7½" square heart blocks and anchor them to the bright colors in the H-blocks. The heart blocks were left from setting together crayon quilt blocks.

You many recall that my quilt scrap busting started 1½ weeks ago with rail fence squares. The H-blocks just didn't go with most of the rail fence blocks. I set aside the rail fence blocks for another quilt top, and searched for something that looked better with the H-blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment