Thursday, August 28, 2008

UFO/Scrap Busting Report - 8/28/08

scrap quilt

Tah-dah! I finished this top this morning. With the Square in a Square blocks finished and borders added it really looks different than yesterday.

The blocks finished to 11" square. The borders make the overall size about 39" square. The border fabrics were both trimmings from quilt backs. There wasn't much of the red print left.

The blocks in the center of the Square in a Square blocks were 6½" unfinished. I used 8" squares cut in half for the triangles. This was a bit oversized and I trimmed the finished block to 11½ inches.

Rather than doing math to figure out the size of the triangles, I used the grid on my cutting mat and a ruler. I placed a 6½" block, on point, with the center 5¾" from each edge; i.e., centered in an 11½" square. I laid the ½" line of a ruler on the lower left edge of the block. The edge of the ruler crossed the edges of the 11½" square at the measurement needed for my triangles.

I've made 2 tops using only stuff from my scrap drawer this month. Tomorrow, I plan to work on borders for the Scrappy Hearts quilt top. I know I won't finish tomorrow and I'll be out of town for most of the holiday weekend. Hopefully, I can finish that UFO before I leave on vacation next Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment