Our Project Linus group had a busy afternoon at JoAnns yesterday afternoon and I have lots of pictures to share. Remember, you can click on any photo for a larger version.
Lucille's friend Anita came and brought pink and blue leftovers that she stitched into this great quilt top.
New group member, Debby, arrived with some colorful fabric to make an easy quilt top. Debby hadn't used her sewing machine for 10 years, so Christy and I helped her thread it. I still haven't met a sewing machine I couldn't thread, but Debby's was a bit of a challenge.
Last month I brought a box of cut squares that I had for years and wanted out of my house. One of our Project Linus volunteers had cut up donated fabric that had varying amounts of appeal. I.e., a lot of it was really boring or ugly. Louise added some more cut squares she wanted to use up.
Lucille spent a couple of hours arranging squares to be sewn into tops. This was our favorite arrangement of the afternoon. Louise sewed squares into quilt tops.
Christy was her typical creative self. She cut striped squares into quarter square triangles and stitched them back together to create new squares like these two. You cut 2 matching striped squares to create 2 different squares.
Christy is setting the pieced squares together with solid squares. I couldn't get a really good view of the layout, but this shows most of the squares.
Jodie and I spent the afternoon finishing quilts. I machine quilted and Jodie tied. This one quilt, we both worked on. I ditch quilted around the borders and sashing, but couldn't figure out a quick way to quilt within the blocks. So Jodie tied the center of the blocks to finish it.
We got a lot done yesterday with only 7 people. This picture shows how much we accomplished. The afghans on the left were dropped off by one of our volunteers. I think there are at least 5 afghans. A quilt Jodie brought in is in the right stack. The bag on the bottom of the right stack contains the 3 blankets I brought in: the pink and blue afghan and the 2 crayon quilts.
The rest of the right stack is blankets that Jodie and I finished yesterday afternoon. A couple of tops made by the rest of the group are hiding in there also. Louise and Lucille had all those blankets pillowcased and topstitched, so quilting or tying the layers together was all we needed to do to finish them yesterday.