Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Second Saturday Charity Quilting

For some reason I've had a block against productive computer use the last few days, so I'm just now posting about my second Saturday of the month charity quilting group that met 3 days ago. We meet from 10 to 5 the 2nd Saturday of every month. The group is called Quilts from Cornerstone and meets at Cornerstone Church in Lee's Summit, Missouri. Everyone is welcome and about half the group do not attend the church.

checkerboard quilt top

Our main project this month was this checkerboard-type baby quilt top. We alternated 4" strips of a flannel print with 4" strips of solid fleece (4 strips of each). Fairly simple, but the fleece is stretchy. I sort of stressed over trying to get the sewn together strips flat and straight to cross-cut them. I think the walking foot definately helped with the sewing. This top that I made is a 9 by 9 checkerboard and is about 31 inches square. Most of them were 8 by 9 squares. I frequently do things a little different.

watercolor quilt top

Our fearless leader, Jeanine, finished this watercolor type quilt. She worked on it during the Friday night craft night also. She started by sewing together 2 inch wide strips, not squares. It was sort of complicated and she had to pay attention to the instructions. I think she said there are 81 different fabrics. This is another one of her efforts to use up some of the accumlated scraps.

flying geese quilt top

After piecing the baby checkerboard top, I found this flying geese top in the tub of partly finished tops. The geese blocks were done and sewn together in pairs, so it was quick to finish stitching together. I worked on a second flying geese top that didn't have quite as much done. I got as far as having the 3 strips of geese blocks sewn together on the second one.

No comments:

Post a Comment