Thursday, August 17, 2006

Crayon Quilt Finished - August 15

crayon-quilt

My quilting has been a bit sporadic. I finished this crayon quilt on Tuesday. Part of the reason I didn't get pictures up earlier is the streets in my neighborhood were repaved yesterday and I had a lot of fun watching and learning. Check out Hot Steaming Asphalt and Hot Steaming Asphalt - More Pics on my other blog to learn about repaving streets.

closeup of crayon quilt

These crayon quilts are from our KC Project Linus "Kids Helping Kids" program. We cut 8 inch squares of muslin and trace pictures with an ultra-fine point Sharpie permanent marker. Youth groups trade new muslin for the traced squares and children color the pictures with Crayola crayons. The squares are ironed with absorbant paper to protect the iron and soak up any excess wax. Then the squares come back to Project Linus and our coordinator begs people to make them into tops.

Recently we've been alternating the crayon blocks with pieced blocks. String pieced blocks were suggested, but I don't like string piecing. This heart block is a super-sized version of the "Hearts for Linus" block from Quiltmaker magazine a few years ago. They are quick to make and add some interest to the quilt.

This crayon quilt is backed with twill fabric, no batting. Just like the one I finished earlier in the month. It's ditch-quilted between the blocks and next to the border. I've got at least 3 more crayon tops to finish, so expect to see more.

No comments:

Post a Comment