Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Project Linus - Third Sunday Group - September

Our Fast & Fun quilt top for September, 2011 was Strip-O-Rama. Our Third Sunday group met at JoAnns Fabrics in Independence, MO last Sunday, September 18, to work on Project Linus blankets.

Strip-O-Rama is a 38" by 47" scrap quilt top with 63 blocks that finish to 4½" square. It was designed by our group facilitator, Jodie.

This sight greeted us when we arrived. A volunteer bought oodles of 2" wide strips on Ebay and gave Jodie a generous portion for our group.

lots of strips

Lots of fun time was spent selecting and arranging strips. The pattern uses 26 strips for the blocks. There are 2 borders each using strips of one fabric.

I decided to do a different, wider border and make fewer blocks. I did a few calculations and got to work. My top will be about 39" by 48" and uses about the same number of strips.

We stitched, ironed, and cut. Then we stitched, ironed, and cut some more. Lots of friendly chatting about many things.

No one finished a quilt top, but all had fun. The most we were able to do was make our blocks. I brought my pieces home to finish.

Strip-O-Rama quilt top in progress

I spent half an hour arranging blocks on my design wall and about an hour stitching. I have 3 more vertical seams to stitch before starting the borders.

I chose a strong green print for my inner border and then picked mostly greens and reds for the blocks. I added some very light fabric, a touch of blue, a touch of purple, a touch of black and 2 zingers for interest. The photo below shows some of the fabrics better.

Strip-O-Rama quilt block close up

Jodie had 6 quilts tops matched with batting and backing fabric ready to layer and finish or get ready to tie. As we packed up, 3 of us volunteered to take a couple home and work on them.

There were few finished blankets this month, but lots of fun was had. We'll be seeing those 2" strips again in more projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment