Sunday, November 05, 2006

Motivation

I am not a morning person. Since retirement, there isn't much that will get me dressed and out of my neighborhood before 9 a.m. So Wednesday morning was a rare occasion that found me dressed in something nicer than jeans and getting in the car at 8 a.m.

What motivation did I have? Wal-Mart had a $500 check for my local Project Linus chapter, my favorite charity, but the only way to get it was to be there at 8:30 a.m. for a presentation during their morning associates meeting. I said a few words about Project Linus and got a glimpse of their morning meeting. Mostly I got the check and got out of the store without buying anything.

Super sized 9-patch quilt with fish #1Super sized 9-patch quilt with fish #2Super sized 9-patch quilt with fish #3

This past week, I finished the 3 quilt tops I stitched at our Project Linus Make a Difference Day event on October 21. One thing I like about this Super-Sized Nine Patch pattern from the Quiltmaker Magazine website is that suggests a quilting design that allows you to quilt the entire quilt with one continuous, wavy stitching line. You don't have to mark quilting lines and your quilting doesn't have to be straight or accurate.

The first 2 quilts shown above have (sort of puffy) batting and are machine quilted following the pattern suggestion. The third one is just the top and flannel back with no batting. That one has just a little stitching to hold the 2 layers together and keep the seams from raveling.

While I was on a roll, I stitched together 3 more of the Super-Sized Nine Patch tops. I can't say that I zipped them together. I soon discovered that the fabric pieces were not matching sizes. A lot of fabric was cut before our Oct. 21 event. It appears they cut yards of one fabric, yards of the next fabric, etc. at whatever width each fabric was. So when a 3 different fabrics were put together, the center and side rectangles where different lengths. So I had to measure the pieces for each top and trim to the smallest length/width.

1 comment:

  1. The quilt-tops look great! Congrats on receiving the check for such a worthy cause!! =)

    ReplyDelete