Tuesday, February 06, 2024

What I Did on Vacation - 2023

Last fall I spent 2 weeks in Albuquerque with my friends Wanda & Roger. Some crafting happened while I was there, but no pictures were taken. A third friend, Phyllis, didn't get to see the quilt tops and requested pictures after I got home and took photographs. So this post is for Phyllis.

First, I finished stitching together the quilt top from the September kit from our 3rd Sunday Project Linus Group. (Yes, we're still meeting on the third Sunday of the month and sewing quilt tops for Project Linus.) The official name for the design is Boomerang, but it was soon known as the dinosaur quilt.

Here is a closer view so you can better see the dinosaurs.

I cut up the pillow panel in 2022. Found coordinating fabric in my stash. Took photos and scanned fabric to import into Electric Quilt. All in the middle of 2022. Then I set it aside to work on something else and there it languished.

The Spongebob pillow panel was polyester. See-through thin polyester. Luckily, I had some solid white polyester fabric in my stash (inherited from the stash of Wanda's mom). I layered the pieces from the pillow panel with the solid white polyester cut to the same size and stitched them together about ⅛" from the edge. This was also done in the middle of 2022 before I set the project aside.

I occasionally stumbled across the Spongebob panel parts; moving them when working on something else. When it came time to choose projects to take on vacation, Spongebob Squarepants quickly went on the list. After getting to Albuquerque, I dusted off my Electric Quilt design skills and created designs to use the pieces from the pillow panel.

I made 2 Spongebob Squarepants quilt tops from the pillow panel. I used a blue background and orange border on the first one.

And two closer shots to better show the details.

For the second Spongebob Squarepants quilt top I switched the blue and orange, so the second one has an orange background and a blue border.

The smaller panel pieces are different on the second top. Here are two closer shots to better show the details.

Now I'll confess that I started this blog post 3 months ago. Didn't quite finish it on the first writing session and kept procrasting or getting sidetracked by other things.

I currently have 6 Project Linus quilt tops waiting to become quilts. The two Spongebob tops are on the top of the stack and will hopefully get finished in the next week and half to turn in at our 3rd Sunday group meeting this month. The dinosaur quilt got finished and turned in last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment